Airspy HF+ Discovery
The Airspy HF+ Discovery sets a new standard in terms of reception performance with extra pre-selectors for all the supported bands and a New DSP Core to optimize the gain distribution and the filtering parameters in real-time and dig deeper in the noise.
The signal path includes very high dynamic range data converters along with high performance passive mixers with an excellent Polyphase Harmonic Rejection structure. The included band-tracking pre-selectors eliminate unwanted interference and preserve the dynamic range of the receiver. With its world class strong signal handling capability and incredibly Low Noise, the HF+ Discovery is the ideal companion for All your High Performance Receive Scenarios.
Both the architecture and level of integration achieved in this design allow us to bring top performance reception at a very affordable price. All the major SDR software is supported. Check the download page.
Ready to discover all these signals hiding in your spectrum?
Unrivalled Noise Reduction Processing
We spent a lot of time understanding RF noise, its structure, and how it interacts with legitimate signals. Today, we have one of the most flexible and acoustically pleasant noise reduction algorithms of the market. The applications range from high-fidelity hiss removal for Broadcast FM signals, to unburying weak SSB signals from the noise floor. Our algorithm doesn’t kill the highs to give you a false impression of loudness, yet it doesn’t have the typical high tone artifacts that plague popular noise reduction algorithms like LMS and Spectral Subtraction.
Here’s a very weak SSB signal in the 40m band, with and without our Digital Noise Reduction. Check by yourself!
Another recording in the 80m during a pileup:
Audio signal without processing:
Audio signal with our Digital Noise Reduction processing:
State of the Art SDR streaming technology!
We concentrated state of the art DSP and networking techniques into our SpyServer software to allow multiple users to stream high quality IQ data from the same receiver at the same time. No compromises in the quality were made like it is usually done in Web SDR interfaces. You get actual IQ data you can process with your plugins and extract the last bit of information out of it.
The server software is highly scalable and can run on computers as small as the $7 Orange Pi Zero to top end 64bit servers with multiple cores/cpus, including the popular Raspberry Pi series.
Airspy HF+ Discovery achieves excellent HF performance by means of a low-loss preselection filter, high linearity LNA, high linearity tunable RF filter, a polyphase harmonic rejection (HR) mixer that rejects up to the 21st harmonic and multi-stage analog and digital IF filtering.
The 6 dB-stepped AGC gain is fully controlled by the software running in the DSP which optimizes the gain distribution in real time for optimal sensitivity and linearity. Harmonic rejection is a key issue in wide band HF receivers because of the large input signal bandwidth of the input signal. The output of the IF-filter is then digitalized by a high dynamic range sigma delta IF ADC for further signal processing in the digital domain.
Excellent FM performance is also achieved by using optimized signal paths composed of band filters, high linearity LNAs with a stepped AGC, a polyphase harmonic rejection mixer and IF filters optimized for the FM broadcast bands.
The amplifier gain is switchable in 3 dB-steps and fully controlled by the AGC running in the DSP. The RF signal is converted to baseband by a high linearity passive mixer with a polyphase harmonic rejection structure. The low-IF signal is then converted into the digital domain by the same IF ADC used in the HF chain. Extended VHF coverage is assured by a second Band-III tuner up to 260 MHz, but with reduced performance.
The IF analog to digital converter (ADC) is a 4th order multi-bit noise shaping topology; it features very high dynamic range and linearity. The IF-ADC sampling rate is determined by a control algorithm running in the embedded DSP. This advanced technique adjusts the sampling rate depending on the tuning frequency with the goal of avoiding the disturbances and spurs generated by the switching discrete-time sections of the IF-ADC.
Digital Down Converter
Once the IF signal is digitalized, the high sample rate I/Q stream is then frequency translated and processed with cascaded CIC and FIR decimation stages. After every stage, the sample rate is reduced and the resolution increased. The final signal at the output has 18bit resolution and an alias rejection performance of 108 dBc. The data is then scaled to 16bit and sent to the Micro-Controller for streaming over USB.
The main advantages over techniques from the legacy super-heterodynes up to the now mainstream direct sampling is that the whole receiver chain is well protected against out of band blockers while still relaxing the RF filtering constraints, making it simple and cost effective. The natural filtering of the sigma-delta ADC combined with the excellent linearity and sensitivity of the analog chain reaches an unprecedented level of performance and integration.
Use it over the network!
Connect as many SDR applications as needed to the HF+ Discovery, over the Internet or in your own local network with near zero latency thanks to the new SPY Server software.
This setup basically brings all the flexibility of Web based SDRs while still benefiting from the full power of desktop applications. The IQ data is processed in the server with state of the art DSP and only the required chunk of spectrum is sent over the network. What is sent is the actual IQ signal, not compressed audio. This means you can use all your favorite plugins to process the IF, eliminate noise and perform heavy lifting of the signals as you are used to do with locally connected SDR’s.
We have a tradition of building multi-tools, so we made sure the SPY Server runs on 32/64bit Windows and Linux on Intel and ARM processors without any compromises. Low cost Raspberry Pi 3 and Odroid boards are in the party.
- HF coverage between 0.5 kHz .. 31 MHz
- VHF coverage between 60 .. 260 MHz
- -140.0 dBm (0.02 µV / 50 ohms at 15MHz) MDS Typ. at 500Hz bandwidth in HF
- -141.5 dBm MDS Typ. at 500 Hz bandwidth in FM Broadcast Band (64 – 118 MHz)
- -141.0 dBm MDS Typ. at 500 Hz bandwidth in VHF Aviation Band (118 – 260 MHz)
- +15 dBm IIP3 on HF at maximum gain
- +13 dBm IIP3 on VHF at maximum gain
- 110 dB blocking dynamic range (BDR) in HF
- 95 dB blocking dynamic range (BDR) in VHF
- 150+ dB combined selectivity (hardware + software)
- 120 dB Image Rejection (software)
- Polyphase Tracking filters for close range interference suppression
- New High Performance Pre-selector for HF with 4 filter banks (corners at ~DC, 5, 10, 17 and 31 MHz)
- New High Performance Pre-selector for VHF (Air, HAM, Commercial and Military VHF)
- New High Performance Pre-selector for the FM band (Japan, US, EU, OIRT)
- Up to 660 kHz alias and image free output for 768 ksps IQ
- 18 bit Embedded Digital Down Converter (DDC)
- 22 bit Resolution at 3 kHz channel using State of the Art DDC (SDR# and SDR-Console)
- +10 dBm Maximum RF input
- 0.5 ppm high precision, low phase noise clock
- 1 PPB frequency adjustment capability
- Very low phase noise PLL (-110 dBc/Hz @ 1kHz separation @ 100 MHz)
- Best Noise reduction of the market using state of the art algorithms
- 2 x High Dynamic Range Sigma Delta ADCs @ up to 36 MSPS
- Single RF Input to cover all bands with High Linearity switching
- Improved input matching down to virtually DC
- Smart AGC with real time optimization of the gain distribution for Best SNR in all situations
- No drivers required! 100% Plug-and-play on Windows Vista, Seven, 8, 8.1 and 10
- Industrial Operating Temperature: -45°C to 85°C
- High Performance Networked HF/VHF Radio
- Ham Radio (HF + 2m)
- Short Wave Listening (SWL)
- AM DX
- FM DX
- VHF-L TV DX
- Remote Telemetry Radio Receiver
- Low Bands IoT
- The gold standard SDR#
- The other excellent SDR suite, SDR-Console
- The suiss-army SDR knife for Linux and Mac, GQRX
- Network server for use with SdrDx for Mac, AirspyHF+ Mac ServerGQRX
- All ExtIO based software (HDSDR, Studio1, etc.) via ExtIO by Hayati Ayguen
- All ExtIO based software (HDSDR, Studio1, etc.) via ExtIO by Andrea Montefusco
- Check the full list of tools in our download page
Supported Operating Systems
- Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 and 11
- Intel compatible PC
- Raspberry Pi 2 and 3
- Odroid C1, C2 and XU4
- Many other Single Board Computers (SBC)
Minimum hardware requirements
- 1GHz Pentium or ARM
- 1GB of RAM (to run your own OS, HF+ barely needs 1MB of memory)
- High speed USB 2.0 controller
Fully Open-Source driver
- Open source, multi-platform user mode driver libairspyhf on github
|Dimensions||75 × 45 × 10 mm|
Excellent quality receiver outperforms my alinco its super quite receiver hears very weak signal and ultra low noise floor with extreme filters ! You may forget to use old school receivers .
Spectrum monitoring and noise reduction features makes reception super quite!
You dont regret
Noting better than this
Excellent product. Excellent sensitivity. Low noise. I recommend it to everybody. Thank you.
Delighted with the performance of this tiny SDR
Product as described. Performs well
Otimo equipamento e de custo baixo.
I used to use an ICOM IC-7300 with a Bencher Butternut HV-9V antenna (8m long vertical) for HF due to I'm living on a condo and I'm reduced of space. Most of my operations are RX with a very few TX. I used many times before SDRs (RTL-SDR, HarckRF, SDRPlay SDR2duo) but the performance of this tiny SDR is simply amazing. As of today I can state that, with very limited difference, I'm getting same results than before using the AirSpy HF+ Discovery in combination with a Diamond D303 (1.6m vertical wideband RX-only antenna). In few words, simply amazing.
For TX/RX on the field I'm using an ICOM IC-705 in combination with JPC-12 antenna and/or a dipole with AirSpy HF+ Discovery acting as search mechanism, very close to what we use to do in SO2R. Hope my comments spark some interest in this unit, because it's amazing.
I'm using the Airspy on the intermediate frequency of my ham radio as a second reciever (1,6-30 MHz on 8.3 MHz IF). Prior to the airspy I used an RTL-SDR device. The difference is significant. The waterfall is much more detailed, the audio quality after demodulation is comparable to my radio. No complaints whatsoever. Fast delivery, good tracking. To get any better, you'll have to pay much more - anything cheaper is not worth the price. Airspy is the way to go.
I was happy with the service and the radio itself is very sensitive. I was surprised just how small it really is in real life! The only thing I do not like about it is that it gets quite hot after a short time of use. This is not healthy for electronics in the long run and I hope that future models will look at reducing this through heat sinks or other means. Overall a good reliable sdr.
Dobrý den. Na podrobnou recenzi není ještě vhodná doba. Vlastním jej krátce, ale ve spojení s anténou YOULOOP naprosto nadchne příjmem ve městě. Děkuji za vynikající produkt....
I have Airspy HF+ Discovery since December 2022. It works well. Still in testing. Jiri
SONOFF ZBMINI Extreme Zigbee Smart Switch ZBMINIL2 (No Neutral Required)$13.99 Add to cart
SONOFF SNZB-02D Zigbee LCD Smart Temperature Humidity Sensor$12.99 Add to cart
SONOFF MINI Extreme Wi-Fi Smart Switch MINIR4$9.90 Add to cart
SONOFF TX Ultimate Smart Touch Wall Switch$24.90 – $29.90 Select options
SONOFF Zigbee Smart Curtain Motor$79.90 Add to cart
SONOFF Zigbee Wireless Switch | SNZB-01P$9.90 Add to cart